Friday, July 10, 2009

Crossbones Style

Every time I'm away from the computer I write blog entries in my head. Especially when I'm riding. Stanza and syntax flow together nicely and beginning, middle and ending are formulated nicely. Sadly, when I sit down in front of said computer it all goes completely to arse. sigh.

The following is true.

Item The First: My life, at the moment, is a complete circus. Not rationally the place I intended to be at this time, however there has to be a point to all of this (even if one has no idea of what said "point" is. That's the kicker, there has to be point...right?).

Item The Second: I've been riding throughout this said "circus". Surprisingly. Not much, not nearly what I feel is enough, but I have been and it's been good. My anxiety regarding "bettering my time" and "achieving" and all the other self doubting 3AM awake bullshit that makes living with or spending any appreciable time with me such a complete picnic has been rising in an inversely proportionate manner to the amount I've been riding. i.e. Ride less, worry more.

Item The Third: Regarding the above I've had a 180 degree head shift about the upcoming race. I'm gonna do the short course. And have fun. The course has no major climbs, rolls well and has loads of nice, fast single track. Rolling in the normal SS category with the 10 or so other uber mench who practice the art regularly I'm guaranteed to be near BOTB (bottom of the barrel) however I intend to try and win the short course SS class on Sunday. If I do, it'll be super cool.If I don't I'll ride the hell out of the course and have a blast because I've never considered doing one before (and I've just realized I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else), grab some food at the end and head out to wait for my Dad (who is bullishly determined to roll the long course this time also).I'll ride in with him and it'll be a proper day at the races.

Item The Fourth: Know thy enemy( or in this case enemies). First and Second in the short course last time were two men I've had some knowledge of and dealings with in the past. So I have the following strategies worked out. Jean-Phillipe is French, light and a stronger climber than me. I have ridden with him once and it was awesome. I however am a stronger technical rider and descend quicker than he does. My plan is to keep him in sight on the up's (without busting a boiler) and try and get past him/ride over him on the downs. If I was planning an "attack" it would probably be around the middle third of B rude not to.
Neil Poskit is my other worthy adversary. He's my GP. A hell of a nice man and looks fit as all get out. As I am an RN and working through my advanced rescusitation course at the present time my plan is simple. At an opportune moment I will scream "Oh my God, on your left! that man's in Ventricular Fibrillation!!". I know, and he will know that you cannot tell that without the aid of an ECG, however it will no doubt distract him enough that he will turn to the left for a split second. At that moment I will punch him in the brain stem. Thus rendering him stunned and I will ride on. The next Dr's appointment I have will no doubt be somewhat awkward, however I'm reassured that people have committed far more heinous acts for victory. However fleeting that victory may be.

Item The Fifth: Matt Kay who is an insanely busy sort has made space on his dance card for the weekend and is coming down to hang out I haven't seen the man in nearly a year. Yusssssssss!

Item The Sixth: Riding bikes still excites, inspires and delights me infinitely. I've seen two other blog posts (much more well known etc etc etc) whilst being subtly different extol the virtues of going out and riding your bike... Reading these has helped a huge amount over the last couple weeks. No suprises really, Go Here and Here

Item The Seventh: I'm hitting it now, as I'm going for a ride in the morning to stretch my legs and clear my head. Or is it clear my legs and stretch my head? I'm not sure.

No comments:

Illuminated Bretheren/Sisteren